Crossin North-South ski expedition

Home Umræður Umræður In English Crossin North-South ski expedition

• Höfundur
    Svör
    Valnepicos
    Participant

Hi,

We are a couple of Spanish friends that we are looking for information about doing the north-south traverse between Akureyri and maybe Hella or Grafarkirkja following the f821 and f26 routes. We like to do the traverse in winter, but we have a lot of doubts, maybe anyone can answer us, or give information about the expedition.

1) Where we can rent the equipment like tent, pulka, gps phone, etc?

2) Where we can finish? Hella or Grafarkirkja

3) How was the weater in Febrary-March

4) There are any huts on the way?

5) What do you think about the equipment, cross-country skiing or traverse skiing.

6) We think to spend about 15 days, it is enougth?

Thank you very much for your patient and your time.

Best reagards,

Samuel Castillo

samu
    Participant

We are looking for information, we post more as soon as know.

Thank you all

Matteo
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I’m not the most expert in ski crossing but maybe I can help you a bit.
    Here you can have an idea how the thing are done by professional:
    https://mountainguides.is/tour/sprengisandur-ski?currency=ISK

1) Where we can rent the equipment like tent, pulka, gps phone, etc?

check on google or to Mountainguides.is asking for Hlynur.

2) Where we can finish? Hella or Grafarkirkja

Look that the winter is late this year and pretty unpredictable, we lack snow. On the newspaper today there is a pics of a place in the Highlands (kerlingafjoll) without snow. I personally think that if you can reach Hrauneyar on the way to Hella you can be pretty happy, southern than that is a lottery. If you refer as Grafarkirkja on the way to Kirkjubaerklaustur I think the crossing gets way harder and longer but probably still doable.

3) How was the weater in February-March

I think March better than Feb, longer daylights and bit more stable weather. April can be late and lack of snow. They say that if there is no snow for Christmas, snow will come for Easter. Maybe conditions will get better.

4) There are any huts on the way?

Few, Nyidalur and Laugafell. Check how to get access.
    ww.fi.is and http://www.ffa.is

5) What do you think about the equipment, cross-country skiing or traverse skiing.

Check the pictures in link

6) We think to spend about 15 days, it is enough?

The crossing is doable in 10, you can add as many as you like doing variations, and also be ready for a couple of stormy day.

Enjoy and have fun,
    Matteo

samu
    Participant

Thank by ou very much for the information and your time. We are collecting information to do this traverse maybe next year and there is few information about.
    We are very grateful about your answerthamk you again.

EricC
    Participant

Seems like a nice project.

Agreed that some years are dry without much snow, have at least some options if you cannot ski. It would be a really long walk. A fatbike would be a nice option.

The biggest tips I can give you as a foreigner living here is be ready to be wet. Winters are much milder than people expect for 65 degrees latitude. Also, navigation can be challenging in the storms, which come more often than we would like. Maps, GPS are fine but you will have to break into the storm if you want to progress well.

Good luck!

Sissi

Just remember to leave a plan with Safe Travel Iceland: https://safetravel.is/

samu
    Participant

Thank you very much Eric.
    Do you know any web to buy good maps of Iceland? we found maps on fedakort.is but we don’t know if it is the best page.

EricC
    Participant

I am not the right person to answer that. For one day trip on smartphone Gaia GPS works well, but it is better for smaller projects.
    Ferðakort looks good, but it all depends on the scale you can get.

8 umræða - 1 til 8 (af 8)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.