Climbing around Herdubreid and Askja

Home Umræður Umræður In English Climbing around Herdubreid and Askja

• Höfundur
    Svör
    Otto Ingi
    Participant

Hi,

A group of Slovenian climbers are planing a visit to Iceland next spring. I am interested in existing routes on Herdubreid. Are there any beside normal route? I am interested in making some new ascents.

Regards,
    Jan Podgornik

Karl
    Participant

You only find young volcanic rock in that region that is loose and unstable for climbing. During thawing season in spring, -late April to middle of June the driving trail from Road no 1 is closed. That means all driving is banned. In winter its allowed to drive in there but you need 4×4 capable of 2-4 PSI ground pressure.
    Herðubreið has been climbed in winter from north and scrambled from SE in summer.
    In late winter it is possible to find long interesting and unclimbed ice routes on the south side of Herðubreið. Finding that in climbing conditions is far from guarantied.
    In spring Herðubreið and Askja are better suited for skiing than climbing.
    This photo is from EaSTER and shows the normal route on Herðubreið, a ski slope that has been driven up and down on snowmobiles. Possible ice routes are further right but belted by the sun that late in winter.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months síðan by Karl.
    Karl
    Participant

melted, -not belted 😉

Jan Podgornik
    Participant

Hi,
    So we decided to focus on skiing Herdubreid. we will ski there with pulkas next week and try to ski some hard lines. is there any information on what routes have been done yet?
    regards Jan

Jan Podgornik
    Participant

We manage to ski 3 routes on north face and 1 on south. Also 1 above askja. If you want details send me an email: jan.podgornik a gmail.com

5 umræða - 1 til 5 (af 5)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.