hello and Gleðilegt ár to ISALP

Home Umræður Umræður In English hello and Gleðilegt ár to ISALP

• This topic is empty.
  • Höfundur
    Svör
    Meðlimur

thanks to Örlygur for organising and leading a great Sunday out at Esja a few weeks back. It was good to meet some members of the Club. thanks for your patience with a non-Icelandic speaker that day!

three things:
    1) Is anyone living in Snæfellsnes area who would like to meet on occasion to go and climb/hike?? – I am living in Stykkishólmur presently, (working for Náttúrustofa Vesterlands) until August. since I have arrived I have been finding it difficult to meet outdoor enthusiasts in town! A few people go walking, but do not seem to venture far into the hills, and are not camping, etc, as far as I have found out. Anyone on the peninsula interested? Do get in contact… I have a car…

2) I met some folk up twd Akureyi on our Esja meeting – I never got your details from you but perhaps you would be interested in meeting halfway across the country between my town and yours for some outdoor action?

3) anyone wanting to get rid of some ice-axes?? It would be good to hear from you, as I would certainly consider buying them off you…

sorry this is in English – I have a long way to go b4 I grasp your langauge… apologies!

Anyone interested please contact me on: 896 4323, or helen@nsv.is

In fact, any hints/tips about how best to get involved would be much appreciated: I am currently approaching our local rescue team just to learn names and faces, and potentially join some outdoor events that might be organised here from town. I am enthusiastic to get outdoors this winter before the snow all goes!

Takk fyrír and take care
    have fun in the hills
    Helen Jewell

Sissi

Common people – answear!

I think your best bet for meeting outdoors people in Snæfellsnes are the rescue teams, see if you can hang out with some of those guys.

Then I think there are some people in Borgarnes and the surrounding area (not THAT far) and at the schools at Hvanneyri and Bifrost that are venturing into the hills.

Lastly, you should consider driving to the Isalp events. Often they take place in your direction so it’s not that far.

You can find the event calender here (in Icelandic though) http://isalp.is/program.php

FEBRUARY
    17/18: Course in winter mountaineering
    23-25: Iceclimbing festival

MARCH
    10: Skessuhorn, a beautiful mountain near Borgarnes (maybe hours drive from you) via a excellent classical and not that technical scramble ridge.
    16-18: Telemark festival in the north
    18: Miðsúla – another great mountain

APRIL
    21/22: Tindfjoll – an overnight trip, climbing some peaks in the cradle of Icelandic alpinism.

If you show up at some of these you will meet like minded people.

Then you have the glacier, lots of iceclimbing, trad climbing at Gerduberg, some nice peaks like Kirkjufell and lots of stuff to do near you.

Regards,
    Sissi

Sissi

Oh yeah – you can find an excellent article on climbing in Iceland in english here: http://www.edinburghjmcs.org.uk/pdfs/iceland.pdf

…by our one Halli, Monarch of Edinbourgh (ehh – Swindon).

Siz

Meðlimur

hæ Sissi
    Wow, thanks for that postive reply to my posting. Cheers. Good to get the translated schedule – much appreciated! (saves me a lot of dictionary-time…)

Yes, I see that the spring schedule is really quite busy. I will definitely try to get to a few events.

When you say ‘schools’ do you mean the colleges/university centres? sounds good. Anyone out there know more?

Yes, I´m getting to know a little about the Rescue Team out here at Stykkishólmur and am hopefully going to get to hear a little more about other Snæfellsnes based teams through my contact here in town. Just to get out camping and hiking would be good, and climbing a bonus. As I say, missing some axes presently… but have 50m 1/2 rope, harness, hat, (summer) gear, boots, crampons.

Yes, I will try to get to the Ísfestival. Anyone driving up my way/that I could meet at Borganes to share the journey?

kind regards
    Helen
    ps……. Swindon?!? (near Bristol? how did he get to be a Monarch THERE?)

4 umræða - 1 til 4 (af 4)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.