Top Rope Areas

Home Umræður Umræður In English Top Rope Areas

• Höfundur
    Svör
    c.houston
    Participant

Hi all,

My Wife and I have a few extra days in Iceland following a work trip next week and am looking to do some climbing. Can anyone recommend any areas that are suitable for ice climbing on top rope? Will be starting in Reykjavik, but ultimately would travel anywhere throughout the country.

Many thanks,
    Campbell

Otto Ingi
    Participant

Hi Campbell,

Unfortunately the weather has been unusually warm and therefor very few (if any) ice climbing areas in good ice condition.
    I would recomend taking a day on a glacier, you can find some decent climbs there but of course that’s not waterfall ice but at least you would get some ice climbing.

Sólheimajökull is the closest glacier from Reykjavík with an easy approach.

I trust that you don’t go unless you have enough experience and equipment to travel safely on the glacier. If not you can contact some of the guiding companies.

Hope you have a good time

Best regards,
    Ottó Ingi

TMS
    Participant

Hi Im hoping to climb in February with a partner who is a beginner, where do you recommend are easy top roping waterfalls to do?
    thanks
    Tim

Otto Ingi
    Participant

HI TMS,

In my opinion we don’t really have any good „top roping“ ice climbing areas, at least not that I can think of.
    Two areas close to Reykjavík that would probable work out as „top roping“ areas.

Tvíburagil
    Lekandi, the routes in the gully above Lekandi are to long to top rope but you can go above them and maybe rappel half way down or something. (remember to ask the farmer for permission to park your car and walk over his lands.)

We have all of our registered ice climbing routes on our webpage.

Hope you find some climbs that suits you needs, have a good time.

Best regards,
    Ottó Ingi

TMS
    Participant

Hi Otto,
    Thank you very much for that information – I’ve been away in the mountains over the New Year break!
    Are the descents from most routes via rappelling from slings and therefore should one take material for that? Or are most descents walk offs?

Best regards,

Tim

5 umræða - 1 til 5 (af 5)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.