Hvannadalshnjúkur

Home Umræður Umræður In English Hvannadalshnjúkur

• Höfundur
    Svör
    Marc
    Participant

Hello everyone,

2 of my friends and I are planning a trip in Iceland for the month of October ( Last 2 weeks of October ). Basicaly we’re planning a 10 day treck in the area of Hvannadalshnjúkur, which we plan on climbing.

Does anyone here had experience in Iceland at this time of the year ? I’m wondering what can of weather we’re gonna face in October, and by that I mean Temperature wise / Daylight wise / snow conditions wise.

Thank you all in advance for the answer, have a great day !

Jonni
    Keymaster

Hello Marc

In October the snow cover on Vatnajökull is generally quite thin, though it is likely to be fresh snow starting to build up again.
    The autumns in Iceland are generally very wet and windy with a series of low pressure systems hitting the south coast. Still there is a possibility for good days but I think 10 continuous good or ok days are going to be unlikely.

Daylight is ok, 23rd of September is the equinox, where day and night are equally long. In October the night is going to be a little bit longer than the day.

Temperature on the Vatnajökull plateau is going to be below 0°C and colder in the night, but probably around or slightly above 0 in the lowlands.

Hope this helps!

Marc
    Participant

Hello Jonni and thank you a lot for your reply.

I have another question someone might be able to answer. We are willing to rent splitboard in order to do our treck. Does anyone know if it is possible to rent splitboard in Iceland ? Do we need to look for that in Reykjavic or can we find some in smaller citys on our way to Hvannadalshnjúkur ?

Thanks in adavance !

Marc

Sissi

There is nobody renting out splitboards in Iceland that I am aware of.

Marc
    Participant

That’s what I thought too but well, better ask than nothing 🙂

Thanks for your answer !

5 umræða - 1 til 5 (af 5)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.